Dental Implants Scarborough
Dental implants are a permanent solution to missing or extracted teeth. The implant consists of two components, one visible the other not. The invisible component is the metal post that acts as the tooth root. This “root” is drilled into the patient’s jaw and pokes out just above the gum line. From there, an acrylic or resin tooth crown is added on to simulate the missing tooth. Dental implants can be installed to replace single missing teeth or act as anchors for other procedures, such as dental bridges.
Dental implants are a great option because they are incredibly secure in the mouth. Unlike dentures or dental bridges, patients can enjoy a fairly regular eating experience without the stress that their false tooth will become loose. Dental implants last upwards of 25 years, making them the ideal long term solution for any patient.
Dental implant surgery is not an easy procedure, and without the right environment, the implant may fail. Your dentist will not only assess your oral situation, but your lifestyle habits as well. The ideal dental implant candidate:
- Is a non-smoker
- Has a fully grown jaw
- Maintains great gum health
- Has strong bones
- Will heal properly (does not have underlying conditions)
The dental implant procedure takes a few months to complete fully. There are different stages that a patient needs to go through before they can leave with a permanent new tooth.
- Step one involves your dentist taking a number of x rays to determine your eligibility.
- Once you have been identified as a candidate, the first surgical procedure will involve drilling the metal post into your jaw.
- During healing, the bone will fuse with your implant.
- Once your jaw is healed, the gums will be reopened to attach the head of the post, which will later become the home for the new tooth.
- Finally, your dentist will attach the new tooth to the post and send you on your way.
Caring for your dental implant is the only way to keep your mouth healthy and retain the implant for years to come. In addition to brushing and flossing regularly, book routine checkups at the clinic. Make sure you take the antibiotics prescribed so that you can avoid infection. When the implant is still healing, watch that your diet does not include any foods that could get stuck and limit healing. Your dentist will outline all the specifics for you at each of your appointments.
Now that you know all about dental implants, book your appointment at the Hillsborough Dental clinic today. Our experienced dentists cannot wait to provide you with your perfect smile and restored abilities.
- Crowns, Bridges, Dentures Secured By Implants
Dental implants are the best option for artificial teeth. Unlike conventional dentures, implants are fully integrated into the jawbone to replicate natural teeth.
- 3D CBCT Guided Implant Surgery & Bone Grafting
3D CBCT allows us to create 3D x-ray images of your jaw, giving us a complete visualization of both erupted and non-erupted teeth, tooth root orientation, and jaw structure that conventional 2D radiographs cannot provide.
- Computerized tomographic data-assisted, 3-D printed surgical templates for fully guided and precision placements of implants
- Implant-supported prosthesis for full mouth rehabilitation